Thursday, February 18, 2010

Canada-Part One-Toronto

I know that whole thing Ireland was kind of confusing, I probably should've dealt it out in small bits instead. For my next travel destination, I will show you a trip I took last summer to Canada. Here's a fun fact, when I was little I was obsessed with trains, and I probably still am. I always wanted to take a train trip overnight somewhere, and I bugged my parents into promising me we would take a trip across Canada. This was for my 16th birthday, so you can kind of say that it was a sweet-sixteen, but for a guy.

We flew up to Toronto and stayed in the Fairmont, which was originally built as the major railway station hotel for the Canadian National [Railroad] or CN. Man was it luxurious. I really couldn't believe that this was all happening for me.

Here's a picture of the Lobby. We would actually stay at Fairmont hotels the whole way across Canada when not on the train.
Anyway, I got to walk around a little bit of Toronto and my Dad was taking a lot of pictures. Did you know that the CN tower is the largest freestanding structure in North America? 
 I went up the CN tower on my trips to Canada before....

I have to say, Toronto has some very beautiful architecture. I'm not an expert, but ever single building seemed refined and modern yet thoroughly traditional and fitting for the city. You have to admire their audacity, with those grand arches, long halls and sleek lines. The Canadians use glass in their buildings maybe more than anyone. It's almost looking at the future of buildings in the present









I think those pictures speak for themselves. Also, everything is connected because in winter everything is frigid cold. I wouldn't dare go out on the streets in winter. I guess that's the reason for lots a glass to let the light in, and the long hallways to connect buildings. 

I'm not saying everything in Canada is perfect. I saw some very odd things in Toronto such as.....



Look at the yellow sign, good name yes? 


Man, I wish we had Doritos flavors like that. Especially En Francais



And if anyone can explain this to me I will be eternally grateful. 

I had tons of fun in Toronto, but I realized that my journey through Canada had not begun yet. If this was only the beginning, how much more could there be? Stay tuned to find out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment