Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Canada-Part Two-Train Part 1

So you saw the city of Toronto in my last post about Canada. I didn't just go to Canada for the city life, I really went there to take a cross country train trip. So the train trip is provided by Via Rail Canada, starts in Toronto, and ends in Vancouver. Actually there are quite a few train trips you can take, including one that takes you up in the northern end of Canada.

















Here we are at Central Station at Toronto. I guess I'm the new bag boy

Since the train left at night, we woke up and I immediately tried to get some pictures. Here I am in the dome car trying to get a picture of the train out front. 



The view of stairs to the dome car...I'm doing some English homework that I would rather not do.



A view inside the dome car, and boy was it cold up there. No heating or anything. But the conductors gave a brief history of locations as we went by....


Here's a view of a dome car when we stopped for a crew change.



A view of the economy cars and the engines up front. 



A view of the inside of a dome car... a little bleak retro if you ask me...


View of the Engines in Winnepeg


A view of the end lounge car. 



This was the most surprising part of the trip. The food was excellent! I'm not even kidding, you know how on Amtrak that you get lousy precooked food like on airplanes? Well here they cook everything fresh and there are new and exciting things. There is Salmon, steak, cheese, fresh produce the works! I'm convinced they stop at night to pick up local produce and meat.....I don't usually get excited about food, but it was surprisingly excellent! more pictures to come. 




The cabins are tiny, but convert into beds at night. You don't spend a whole lot of time in your rooms though. 

As I have always loved trains, I'm biased about the living conditions on the train with restrooms, sleeping etc (But not the food!). However, in the next post I will show you the most exciting part of the train ride, the scenery. Stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment